Pages

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Lions, and Tigers, and Bears! Oh, My!

Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge- Snapped During My Run
I decided to go into Boston yesterday to get my weekly longer run in.  I figured that I would take advantage of the very slight window of warmth to run outdoors knowing that I would probably be forced indoors this coming week due to the return of the arctic express.  The forecast was mid 20's and overcast with gusty winds and snow showers starting very early afternoon.  Early morning run it was!  I learned quickly that the forecast should have been gusty winds very very early.  Running West into the wind on the Cambridge side along the Charles River kicked my butt.  It felt like I was running into the exhaust of a jumbo jet (without the roar of the engine and that nasty smell of jet fuel).  The only thing that I was thinking was the return route going East on the Boston side.  I would make up all of the time, and then some, that I had lost running against the wind! I would be effortlessly pushed along the path.  Nice!

The wind quickly became more and more intense towards the end of the run.  I felt like I was going to be swept off my feet and transformed into Dorothy.  Caught up in a twister like in the Wizard of Oz.  I could watch the cow float by while it is chewing cud out in the pasture.  I could waive to the men rowing the boat past my window as I look on in delight.  Miss Gultch on her bicycle pedaling like there is no tomorrow and then swapping her stuffy old clothes for that flowing witch outfit and trading in her bike for that more efficient broom stick.  "I"ll get you my pretty..."  Sorry, I digress.  It was pretty darn blustery at the end but it was worth dealing with it to be outdoors.  No houses landed on anyone so it was a great day for a run when all was said and done.  I guess I should have remembered to just click my running shoes and repeat: "There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home".

Until next time, keep on runnin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment