Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Good Intentions.

The last time I checked Saturday's weather on Friday, it was supposed to be in the low 40's and a chance of rain later in the day.  Perfect.  I'll get up early, go into the city and get a run in before the rain made its way in.  That was the plan anyway.  I went to bed early Friday nigh and woke up bright and early Saturday to the sound of dripping water in the gutter outside my window.  I laid there staring at the ceiling contemplating whether that was really rain drops or maybe just fog that had condensed on the roof and was finding its way to the conveniently located gutter.  Drip.  Drip.  Drip.  Nope, it was rain.  Crud monkeys.  Yes, that is correct.  Crud monkeys (don't ask).  I turned on the Weather Channel hoping that it was just a passing "stray" shower that just had lost its way.  Nope, it was part of a swath of precip engulfing the region and then some.  I have to say that the color patterns on the radar map, which were made up of the varying degrees of intensity of rain/snow, were exquisite.  Something that could be framed and hung in the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.  An absolute masterpiece. 

The forecast now was for rain/snow for the entire day.  Not quite the conditions that I wanted to partake in.  "The gym it is", I exclaimed!  I quickly had to change my mindset from excited and invigorated outdoor running to humdrum indoor treadmill running lacking any sense of vigor.  OK, it wasn't that bad (it seemed like it while in the midst of it though).  I made the most of it and ended up with 7.5 miles while focusing on speed work.  All of this while having the option of watching Dora the Explora, sports highlights from the night before on ESPN or a variety of local news shows with the same stories and breaking news on the large screen TVs.  Wait, how could I forget the other option for my viewing pleasure?  The Weather Channel with continuous coverage of the rain and the magnificent precipitation radar map.  Decisions, decisions.  Hmmm...

Until next time, keep on runnin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment