Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Oh, The Hills Are Alive With The Sound Of Griswold.


Mt. Vernon Street - Beacon Hill
No, I wasn't singing gleefully and dancing in circles with Ellen, Audrey and Rusty in the Swiss Alps yesterday morning.  I was instead running 16.2 miles in Boston with some hill work sprinkled in towards the end courtesy of Mt. Vernon Street on Beacon Hill.  I'm sure that I probably could have screeched out a few lines "Oh, the hills are are alive..."  Oh, forget it.  That would have been horrible.  I cannot hold a note for anything.  Don't even ask if I could have danced in circles.  I think that is a given.  Heck no!  I was always the one standing in one place during dances in junior high.  I am the poster child for no rhythm and wallflowers everywhere.  Oh well, I can run and I'll take that any day.

I'm starting to incorporate more intensive hill training into my runs so that I can better prepare myself for the marathon.  While I have always tried to regularly include some hill work, I know that I have to "ramp" it up.  No pun intended.  OK, you know me better.  That pun was absolutely positively intended.  What better place is there that is off the between trail (no, not that trail (Freedom Trail)) and convenient to where I always run?  Beacon Hill.  It has some great steep hills, doesn't have a lot of traffic and... has some great steep hills.  If you cannot tell, it has pretty good hills.  It is great for both ascending and descending which both require specific types of training.  My hope is that putting this work in now will help me when heart break hill comes front and center.  I'm going drive out to that hill soon to scope things out and see how much more work I need to be prepared for it.

"Hey look kids, there's Big Ben, and there's Parliament... again". (Sorry, had to throw one more quote in from National Lampoon's European Vacation).

Until next time, keep on runnin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment