Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Mental.

I was talking with a colleague the other day at the water cooler, sorry, "water bubbler".  She asked me how my training was going.  I responded with "really good, cold, but really good".  I suggested, "hey, you should give it a try". She quickly replied "I couldn't do that".  I replied with "oh sure you could, come on".  It is what she said next that really made me stop and think. "It is all mental beyond the actual physical running.  I couldn't do the mental piece of it".  You know what?  She was absolutely right. It is very much mental. I never really stopped and thought about it like that until now. 

For me, running is an outlet that helps me clear my head and unwind from the pressure and stress in any given day.  Running is a solitude sport for me. My training, just me. Pushing myself to get going at 4:30 in the morning for runs, just me. Running races and continually striving for better, you guessed it.  Me, myself & I (love that song from De La Soul).

I have to push myself through all of the mental challenges that come with running. I learned that the hard way during my first marathon last fall.  I thought that I was ready for anything. That I could conquer this dastardly villain. Standing proud, arms crossed and chest held high. My Superman cape flapping in the breeze behind me (yes, there are tights involved too but of the running variety). I had physically trained as much as I could.  It was around mile 18 when the mental piece kicked in.  The dreaded wall. The part of training that I hadn't focused on.  The part that I had not fully experienced before and that I was absolutely not prepared for.  I focused too much on just getting the miles in and not enough on keeping my head in the game the entire time.  Hitting the wall that day was probably the best thing for me as I learned a lot of valuable lessons and have been able to become a much better runner from it.

"Proud, I'm proud of what I am.  That's me myself and I.  It's
 just me myself and I" (You've got to love those 80's songs).

Until next time, keep on runnin'!


2 comments:

  1. You are soooo right about it being mental! All exercise is mental!
    If I overthink something, I'm not doing it, But if I just stop thinking and "Just do it" I'm good!

    Good music helps me during that mental block!
    I think Im going to make a mental playlist, you know, the songs that get you going
    Eye of the tiger (survivor) Here I go again (white snake), Bon Jovi...Love the 80's!

    You training for the marathon has been so inspiring for me....Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good philosophy to "Just do it"! I completely agree. Are you a spokesperson for Nike when not at WW?

    Good music helps me too. I tried running for a bit of time without music. It worked well as it allowed me to focus on what my body was saying which let me run a bit faster and more efficiently. It didn't last long though as it only worked well on shorter runs. As soon as I tried it on longer runs I said, "Nope, I'm all set. Give me my Boston and Journey back".

    Did Jennifer tell you my playlist? You're songs are on there (except for Bon Jovi- used to be when I had really long hair and a mustache- Don't ask!).

    Thank you for your kind words Heather. I really appreciate it along with all of the support that you and Joe have provided me in my fundraising. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete