Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Brrr...

Yesterday's 6.5 miler training run was COLD!  18 degrees and snow.  It was the first time that I've experienced my eyelids staying locked in position other than that one bout of pink eye that I got from my son (who got it from one of his classmates in elementary school when he was younger- I won't go into detail on that one.  Yuk!).  They were frozen in place which caused me to have to stop and thaw them out.  Pretty cool!  While everyone else was whizzing by in their nice and toasty warm cars, I was defrosting my eyes on the side of the road while the snow was flying and the wind was whipping.  Nice, I am a true runner!

This is the first winter that I've actually run outside and I think that I'm pretty used to it now.  Previously, I would schlep over to the gym and run on the "dreadmill" if one was available.  Otherwise, I would wait around and do weights or use a stepper.  BORING.  The hot, sweaty, smelly gym where hygiene and etiquette seemed to be mysterious concepts for many.  I vowed that I would not have any of that this winter (well until it gets unbearably cold out)!  I found that investing in quality winter running gear makes all the difference when the mercury dips.  Yes, it is cold at first and I find myself continually repeating, "Keith, what the frig are you doing?".  However, I quickly warm-up and the inner runner kicks in.  Cold weather runs can be so invigorating and motivating.  Seriously.

Until next time, as the great band Journey belts out, "Keep on runnin' ".

No comments:

Post a Comment