Pages

Sunday, April 26, 2015

What A Feeling.

What a feeling
Being's believing
I can have it all
Now I'm dancing for my life

Well, in this case it would be running instead of dancing but same difference I guess.  Well, maybe not because I can certainly run but I cannot dance for anything!  Great lyrics to represent how I felt running the Boston Marathon last Monday and how I have felt since.  Thanks Irene Cara! 

I have run other marathons before but there is a special feeling that you get when running Boston which is like no other.  Maybe it's the challenging course with the rolling hills in Newton along with Heartbreak Hill?  Maybe it's participating in a race with a storied history and rich tradition?  Maybe it's the incredible spectator support from the starting line in Hopkinton all the way to the finish line in front of the Boston Public Library on Boylston street?  Maybe it's the pride of wearing the Boston Children's Hospital Miles for Miracles singlet and representing an organization that is saving lives and making differences for children and their families on a daily basis?  Maybe it's the joy of running for Patrick (my patient partner) and my son Simon who have both been touched and received care from Boston Children's Hospital?  Maybe it's being part of such an incredible team and training with them for five months (shout-out to my fellow Miles for Miracles teammates)?  Maybe it's the incredible sense of accomplishment every time that I put on my Adidas Night Flash (fancy name for purple!) 2015 Boston Marathon Anthem (don't ask because I have no clue!) jacket?  Just maybe it's all of these things and then some. 

This was the best marathon experience that I've ever had.  I came into the race last Monday with the most confidence and feeling the best physically that I've ever felt before, during and after a marathon.  I attribute it all to the great coaching that I received from the Miles for Miracles coaches Sarah Lucas and Jeff Hintlian.  With a well planned training regime, I was both mentally and physically prepared and was at the top of my game.  I ended up running a PR of 3 hours 53 minutes which was not something that I was trying to achieve.  My plan was to run the race comfortably with no time expectations.  I wanted to just run and take everything in.  Every single aspect that is Boston.  No checking my watch for pace and no music to distract me.  It turns out that, because of my training, I was able to run the race comfortably, take everything in without worrying about pace.  All without listening to music.  What a feeling.

There is a big sense of "what now?" now that Marathon Monday has come and gone.  Five months of training, commitment and countless time away from family.  All culminating in an event that was over in 3 hours and 53 minutes.  Completed.  Finished.  Done.  No more early Saturday morning team runs.  No more worrying about trying to juggle, fundraising, work and the training schedule.  There was anxiety and nervousness leading up to the marathon.  That all quickly faded and was replaced with jubilation and excitement during the race and in the days after.  Now, it almost feels like a sense of loss.  Something that is now missing.  A faded memory of sorts as life goes on. 

I will always cherish April 20th, 2015.  The memories of everything leading up to that day and the joy of crossing the finish line soaking wet, cold and enjoying every minute of it.  Thankful for being given the chance to be on the Boston Children's Hospital team.  Thankful for everyone who supported my fundraising efforts and those who supported me with well wishes.  Thankful for meeting and getting to know such a great patient partner and his family.  Most of all, I'm thankful for the unwavering support of my wife Jennifer and my son Simon throughout this journey.  Without their backing, love and support, I would not have been able to do this.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  You will never know how much this all has meant to me and what a feeling I have experienced. 

Until next time, keep on runnin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment