Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Ironic.

Some things in life can be so ironic. As I compose this post, I'm sitting in room 904 next to my son waiting for him to be discharged.  Discharged from Boston Children's Hospital.  Who would have thought when I signed up to run on the Miles for Miracles team back in September that I would find myself with my son being a patient again.  I thought that the time had past that he would have to use the services of BCH again. Especially since he seems like a grown man to me. He is taller than me and has a size 13 shoe for goodness sake.  An adult who knows better than engaging in risky behavior which can result in injury. I forget sometimes though that he is still a kid. Still young and learning by his mistakes.

My son receiving emergency care here quickly reminds me of all the reasons why I'm running for such an outstanding organization like BCH. Front and center.  I am so grateful to everyone who works here. Everyone from the maintenance staff, people who deliver the meals to the rooms, the cleaning staff,  the nurses and doctors and everyone in between.  It really makes you feel incredibly fortunate and appreciative to know that such a high caliber facility is here and waiting to help when people are sick and in need.  I learned during my son's stay that Boston Children's Hospital was ranked #1 Children’s Hospital by U.S. News & World Report.  A well deserved honor.  I was also reminded that this hospital is not just for those with chronic illnesses but also for those who need emergency services.  Something that I had never really thought about until this past Thursday.  

I had another bit of irony today.  What's that you say?  Well, let me tell you.  Today was the first weekly run (5 miles) of the Miles for Miracles team which also included a pre-run clinic (proper stretching and warm-up).  What's so ironic about that?  It just happened to be at the Boston Children's Hospital Waltham campus.  Who knew!  It was a great clinic and first of many team runs. 

As I close this post, I think about the conversation that we just had with our son's surgeon and his resident regarding going home today.  The events of the past couple of days are finally coming to an end. We can try and get back to some sense of normalcy.  All the while feeling such gratitude for everyone who helped us out at Boston Children's Hospital. Thank you to those who we had the opportunity to interact with and to those who we did not but who helped out indirectly.  Being a member of the Miles for Miracles team running to support this hospital has a whole new meaning for my family and I.  A small way to give back and say "Thank You".

And isn't it ironic... don't you think?
Who would've thought... it figures
Thank you Alanis.  Hey, I had to get some lyrics in here somewhere!

Until next time, keep on runnin'!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment