Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Refueling- 1st Place


Body Glove Surge All Natural Energy Gel- Chocolate.

I've got a golden ticket!  A Wonka Bar of chocolaty deliciousness.  "Augustus sweetheart, save some room for later" goodness. 

This gel has so many things going for it.  "I'll bet those Golden Tickets make the chocolate taste terrible."  Well, they actually don't grandpa Joe.  It has a great natural chocolate flavor which is vibrant and actually pretty delicious tasting.  There is a pleasant aftertaste which is very mild.  It's no Ghirardelli, but pretty darn good as it goes for energy gels. 

The Surge gel has a great consistency which makes it very easy to get down while running.  This is essential when you are trying to refuel without stopping and without having to wash it down with energy drinks.

The level of energy that it provides comes on pretty quick and lasts for a good amount of time.  The bullets on the packet say "More Energy Faster" and "More Energy Longer".  I would completely agree with those statements.  No misrepresentation at all.

"There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction they are going.  There's no knowing where they're rowing.  Or which way the river is flowing.  Is it raining, is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing?"  Did I mention already that it has a great chocolate flavor?  Like the great Willy Wonka's chocolate river.  I digress.

The all natural ingredients are a huge plus.  You can actually pronounce all of them without having to flub your way through your own personal in·ter·pre·ta·tion (/inˌtərpriˈtāSHən/) of how to speak each one out loud.  I also like that this gel has 150 mg of caffeine.  I find that that really helps me to stay focused and keep my head in the game on my long runs.

A drawback?  If you read other reviews online about this gel they mention that this gel is gritty.  Gritty?  I wouldn't quite call it that.  I would call it more "textured" than anything else.  Did I find that to be a bad thing?  Absolutely not.  I actually didn't mind it at all. 

I was initially going to give PowerBar Performance Energy Blends the 1st place nod.  However, that was before I put them head to head last weekend on my long run.  I found that the Energy Blends are actually better for my shorter runs and that the Surge gel is much better for the longer runs.  For that, I'm giving 1st place to Body Glove Surge.  Thanks to Jim Darsigny who got me a couple of packets of this gel on his lunch a few weeks back.  I've since bought a box of them and will be putting another order in in the coming days.

"But Charlie, don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he always wanted.  He lived happily ever after."  I couldn't have put it any better Mr. Wonka.

Until next time, keep on runnin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment