Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Last Long Run.

Saturday.  Just another weekend day.  The day after Friday and the day before Sunday.  Well, maybe not.  It was the day to take my last long run before the Boston Marathon.

 I knew that I had to get my last long run in this weekend as the marathon is only 3 weeks away now.  The weather forecast was calling for rain this weekend on both Saturday and Sunday.  However, it was going to be rain free Saturday morning.  Saturday morning it was going to be then.  I took the early train in and started my run. 

The weather was gorgeous.  47 degrees and partly sunny.  Perfect weather for shorts, a short sleeve shirt and shades.  I was so excited because I hadn't been able to wear shorts for quite a long time (it's the little things!), it was my last long run and I was trying out three new gels (I'll post about the new gels soon).

 
My intention for yesterday's run was to log 20 miles, focus on staying near race pace, and putting the final touches on my refueling/hydration plan.  I was able to meet my goals and beat my mileage by 2 miles.  I ended up running 22 miles during this session.  The 20 mile mark was approaching and I said to myself that I'm feeling good so let's make it another mile.  The 21 mile mark approached and I did a quick check again.  I was still feeling good and I still had time before I had to head back to catch the train home so I went for it.  I felt really good at the end of it especially saying that I had run 9.25 miles Friday morning (total of 31.25 miles in two days).

I met my goal of staying around my race pace too.  This is something that I work on from time to time but really hadn't focused on too much previously as I usually go for speed over staying at race pace during my training runs.  I had to challenge and prove to myself though that I could be disciplined so that I could finish strong at the end where it really counts.  This is something that is always in the back of my mind from running my first marathon last October.  I started out that race at what I thought was at the right pace but quickly learned, at about mile 17, that I had started way too fast.  I learned from that mistake and will not let it happen again. 

I used this long run to make final adjustments to my refueling/hydration plan as well.  I've decided that I'm going to alternate with Body Glove energy gel and Honey Stinger Ginsting energy gel for the marathon  I found that this combination gives me the energy and mental clarity that I need during my runs.  I also used it as an opportunity to focus on the signs that my body gives me when I need to rehydrate.  The human body is a pretty smart cookie and gives great clues as to when it needs something.  You only have to be smart enough to listen for those clues.

I made a special point during my long run to stop by the scene of the tragic fire that claimed the lives of two Boston firefighters this past Wednesday.  The scene was quiet and a bit eerie.  The only thing that you could hear was a slow "beep... beep... beep" coming from either the charred shell of what once was someone's home or the houses on either side that were impacted by this devastating event.  It made me pause and reflect on what is really important to me in my life.  My heart goes out to all the families that were touched so negatively by this horrible fire.

I also made a special trip over to Boylston street to see the newly painted finish line.  What a sight for sore eyes.  To most, it probably doesn't mean that much at all.  Just some yellow, blue and white paint splashed on the pavement.  To me as a runner, it means so much.  It is the ultimate prize for all of the training.  It is what I've worked so hard for all of these months.  That simple mark on the road is the culmination of such a profound journey.  "Journey".  "Keep on Runnin'".  Wow, I love when they come together like that!

Until next time, keep on runnin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment