Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Emotions "Running" High.

15 weeks of training in the rear view mirror and the emotional rollercoaster has started to leave the station.  The attendant already checked my lap belt and restraint bar.  I've listened to the pre-recorded safety message about keeping my hands in the ride at all times, not to stand up during the ride and to wait until the car has come to a complete stop before I exit the ride upon returning to the station.   It really is starting to all sink in now as to what I'm doing and how much of an impact it has on me.  There was a bit of carefree excitement at the beginning of training way back in early December.  At that time there was 20 weeks to go.  Plenty of time to focus on other things going on in my life which were a distraction of sorts.  As the weeks have gone by, the juggling act of training, family life, fundraising and work have all increased in step with the weekly miles.  I think that it really struck me while driving to the team long run last week.  An energetic song with a high BPM (beat per minute)came on the radio.  It is one that I also have on my running playlist so it already had the potential to invoke some kind of response.  Boy, did it ever.  I lost it.  Tears were flowing like Niagara Falls.  I just needed to flash some colored lights in my eyes and it would have been like the illumination that happens every night at the Falls.  It is quite something to see.  The real Falls at night that is.  Luckily I was going 70 (yes, I was speeding) so people couldn't really see me carrying on with my box of Kleenex. 

I think that most non-runners, understandably, don't fully know the extent of the commitment (physical and emotional) that it takes to take on something like this.  Yes, people know that it is a lot of hard work and training.  But they really don't know how much it takes and how much day to day pressure there is along with the swings of highs and lows.  To me, that is OK because they didn't sign up to do this.  I did and I have to say that I kind of really like it.  It helps me to be a better, more focused person and a stronger and smarter athlete.  Kleenex and all.

Speaking of emotions, Boston Children's Hospital held a special event for us team runners and our guests recently at their main campus in Boston.  Queue the Kleenex please.  What an emotional and inspirational event.  Executives from the hospital spoke about how the funds that we are raising will be used and one of our fellow teammates spoke about his experiences with the marathon.  We were also able to take a tour of the newer sections of the hospital that were recently renovated so that we could see how previous funds were spent that directly impact patients and their families.  An absolutely fantastic event put on by BCH for us and something that I will never forget.

Until next time, keep on runnin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment