Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2015

More Than A Feeling.

I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
Turned on some music to start my day
I lost myself in a familiar song
I closed my eyes and I slipped away
It's more than a feeling, when I hear that old song they used to play (more than a feeling)

I love that song and always look forward to it when it comes up on my running list.  How coincidental is it that the group that sings that song is Boston and I'm running the "Boston" Marathon for "Boston" Children's Hospital?  OK, not very, but I had to tie it in someway.  I did look out this morning and the sun was definitely gone though.  I was checking to see if it was snowing and whether I wanted to venture to Wellesley in it for the 14 mile team run this morning.  Oh, it was snowing for sure when I peaked out the front window and it was coming down pretty good.  I sat for a moment and debated: 

Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
An' if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know
[The Clash- 1982]

The hearty Buffalonian in me decided, ah, what's a little snow?  Just go already.  A couple of inches?  Inches sminches.  I figured it's always fun to run in the snow so why not.  That said, I decided that I should bring in the mail just in case to see if the run had ended up getting cancelled because of the snow.  The e-mails came in as fast as the snow was falling.  Wait, what was that that just came in from yesterday?  Looked like "registration" something at "baa.org" something or another.  It spun by so quick that I thought that I had just spun the big wheel on the Price Is Right.  Trying to get the red $1.00 so that I could go onto the Showcase Showdown.  I scrolled down to find the message.  There it was.  My confirmation that I was officially registered for the 119th Boston Marathon.  More than a feeling.  It is now officially "official".  I have my golden ticket.  The last piece of the puzzle is complete and I can now Mod Podge it and hang it on the wall.  A fantastic surprise to find in the old mailbox this morning. 

Speaking of the old mailbox, I had another fantastic surprise today in my snail mail mailbox.  A shipping envelope from Boston Children's Hospital.  I squished the packing a bit to see if I could figure out what it was.  Hmm...  Soft.  Felt like material.  But, what was it?   I carefully opened it to find my "official" Boston Children's Hospital Miles For Miracles singlet.  Yeah!  There was also a letter asking me to start wearing it during my training and on the team runs.  OK, you don't have to ask me twice.  I will go forth and wear it proudly.  I'll just wear it to the gym on my cross train days for now and then wear it on my runs when it warms up. 

When I'm tired and thinking cold
I hide in my music, forget the day
And dream of a girl I used to know
I closed my eyes and she slipped away
She slipped away
It's more than a feeling, when I hear that old song they used to play (more than a feeling)


Until next time, keep on runnin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment