Pages

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Windy. Windy. Windy.

Wind.

noun: wind; plural noun: winds
/wind/

1. The perceptible natural movement of the air, especially in the form of a current of air blowing from a particular direction.
"The wind howled about the building."

synonyms: breeze, current of air; gale, hurricane; literary zephyr

Thank you Merriam Webster for your succinct definition of this word.  A word that I was able to experience first hand during my run this past Friday evening along the Charles River and Boston Harbor.  I'd have to say though, my definition wouldn't have been so polite and "nice".  It would have been more direct and laced with a "what the f@ck!" here and  "are you kidding me you piece of sh%t" there.  What the "h" "e" double hockey sticks is up with this $@#%!# gusty stuff?  A real truck driver mouth if I may say so myself. 

I knew that my evening run was going to be a bit breezy as the high rise building I was in was increasingly creaking like an old wooden pirate ship undulating in an angry sea as the day went on.  I guess I didn't realize how gusty it would be though until I made my way towards the Charles.  You get a really nice wind tunnel effect along the way due to all the buildings.  I kind of felt like a Porsche 918 Spyder being examined for aerodynamics.  The only thing that was missing was the smoke to demonstrate the airflow as it moved across my body. 

Notwithstanding Mother Nature's fury, it really was a good run.  While it was challenging to run into a strong headwind, it does help in training to keep a race pace in this type of situation as you never know what type of weather you're going to encounter on race day.  I checked the weather when I finished and the temp was 42 (real feel 34) with sustained winds at 18 mph gusting to 29 mph.  Sweet.

I ended up running 10 miles Friday night for a weekly total of 25 miles.  I'm trying to keep an average of between 25 and 30 miles a week leading up to my marathon training which starts up in earnest at the end of December. 

As I've noted in past posts, I'm hooked on taking pictures as I'm running through the city.  So much so that sometimes I'm stopping every a couple of minutes trying to best the last snap that I took.  Especially those sunsets along the Charles River!  I plan to include a picture or two from my runs to each post to add a little eye candy to all of this blah blah text.  The two pictures that I've included on this post are of the Bunker Hill Monument and the Colonel William Prescott statue (in front of the monument) that I took Friday night.  Enjoy!

Until next time, keep on runnin'!







No comments:

Post a Comment