Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2014

15 Miles On The Erie Canal.

I've got a mule and her name is Sal
Fifteen miles on the Erie Canal
She's a good old worker and a good old pal
Fifteen miles on the Erie Canal

Well, I really don't have a mule named Sal.  I guess that it would be kind of interesting if I had one though.  "Hey, come here you jackass".  I would be giggling like a school girl all the time. 

I did go fifteen miles yesterday.  But, it wasn't along the Erie Canal.  I wish that it had been though because then I would have been back "home" in Lockport, NY.  The site of locks 34 and 35 along the historic Erie Canal.  I spent so much time along the towpaths there as a kid where Sal and her fellow mule friends pulled packet boats many moons ago.  I digress though. 

My fifteen miles were spent "horsing" around (I had to put that in!).  Actually, I ran a long run for a total of 15 miles.  Boy did it feel good to get into Boston and run until my heart was content.  I spent a couple days beforehand mapping out all the routes that I could take.  All the new places I could check out.  But, in the end, like how good old reliable Sal used to hoof her way along the same paths day after day, I decided to go with the course that I knew so well and had run so many times this past winter/spring.  It was my Boston Marathon training route.  It was great to see the old familiar sites like the seagulls at Black Falcon Pier (thank you to the friendly gull that posed so that I could take a fantastic shot- I'll post you to Instagram soon), the families taking in the sites at the Aquarium, the tourists posing with the actors dressed as soldiers at the Charlestown Navy Yard, the spectacular granite obelisk that is the Bunker Hill monument contrasting against the vibrant blue fall sky to the sailboats maneuvering their way in the center of the Charles River (I had to stop and take this picture of them). 

It was an absolutely fan-frickin-tastic day for a run.  Beautiful weather.  Beautiful sights.  It brought back a lot of great memories of preparing for the Boston Marathon earlier this year.  A lot of great memories.  Hmmm...  That gives me an idea...

Get up mule, here comes a lock
We'll make Rome 'bout six o'clock
One more trip and back we'll go
Right back home to Buffalo

Until next time, keep on runnin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment